Spelling Phonology and Morphology
The Science of Spelling, involves whole-class direct explicit instruction of a systematic and sequential approach. Students engage in regular review to maximise exposures to new and previous learning with all students engaging in repetitive routines, four days a week reducing cognitive load while learning new graphemes and morphemes.
The approach features:
- whole class explicit instruction
- a systematic sequence of new learning
- consistent structures and routines each week
- independent practice to reinforce new learning
Benefits for students
- Understanding of phoneme, grapheme correspondence (letter-sound relationships)
- Understanding of meaning of and within words. E.g. prefix 're-' means to repeat or return, as in 'relearn' or 'revisit'.
- Development of understanding of word origins to support spelling and meaning.
The Department for Education has captured Blakeview's recent achievements and produced the following video to support their state-wide implementation of this approach.